Dr. McCurdy’s current research focuses on structural and epistemological factors impacting the health and well-being of intersectionally marginalized people and communities. Current projects include a scoping review of Indigenous and eurochristian worldviews in the bioethics literature, a research project titled “An Intervention to Transform Care Provider Behaviors in Perinatal Safety for Black Birthing Families,” an anti-colonial critique of the epistemology of brain death, and a book project featuring an anti-colonial analysis of bioethics.
More Items on the Web
- Webinar: How Brain Death Declarations Can Harm, and Why Legal Exemptions Should Be the Rule
- Guest appearance: Marc Siegel, host. Doctor Radio Reports, Doctor Radio Powered by NYU Langone Health, SiriusXM. February 28, 2023.
- Bioethics Faculty Address Structural Racism in Health Care Settings
- Podcast: Bioethics in the Margins S02 E05 - Colonial Geographies with Jennifer McCurdy
- Podcast: Pondering Hermit: The Eurochristian Worldview
- Pandemics are Not New: What Can Indigenous Worldviews Teach Us? (bioethics.net)
Pham MT, McCurdy J. Who's Experience, Which Liability? Am J Bioeth. 2023 Jan;23(1):41-43.
McCurdy J. “Colonial Geographies, Black Geographies, and Bioethics,” in A Critical Moment in Bioethics: Reckoning with Anti‐Black Racism through Intergenerational Dialogue, ed. Fletcher FE, Ray KS, Brown VA, Smith PT, special report, Hastings Center Report. March-April 2022;52(S1):S66-S68. DOI: 10.1002/hast.1375.
McCurdy JL, Dupree CY. Understanding and Addressing Health Disparities through a Racial Paradigm. In: Hester DM, Schonfeld TL, eds. Guidance for Healthcare Ethics Committees. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2022:30-38. DOI: 10.1017/9781108788250.005.
Jotterand F, McCurdy J, Elger B. Cognitive enhancers, intellectual disability, and personal identity: emerging ethical issues. In: Rosenberg RN, Pascual JM, eds. Rosenberg's Molecular and Genetic Basis of Neurological and Psychiatric Disease. Vol 1. Sixth ed. Cambridge, MA: Academic Press; 2020:199-207.
Jotterand, F. and McCurdy, J. Ethics of Transhumanism: In Global Context in The Encyclopedia of Bioethics, Springer Publishers.
Selected Achievements and Awards
- Co-Chair and Ethics Consultant for the McLaren Greater Lansing Ethics Committee
- 2021 Task Force Member, Hastings Center Special Report: “A Critical Moment in Bioethics: Reckoning with Anti-Blackness through Intergenerational Dialogue”
- 2019-2022 Co-chair, Race, Culture, and Ethnicity Affinity Group of the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
- Member, American Society for Bioethics and Humanities