Associate Director of Academic Programming
Center for Bioethics and Social Justice
Associate Professor, Department of Medicine
- A-132A East Fee Hall
- (517) 353-8582
- Pronouns: she/her/hers
- PhD 2008 Michigan State University
- BS 1990 College of Charleston
Dr. Karen Kelly-Blake's research interests include health services research, shared decision-making, clinical communication skills and training, decision aid development and implementation, mHealth, chronic illness management, health equity, and men’s health. More recently, her interests have focused on medical workforce policy, patient-provider concordance, and the rhetoric of service for those underrepresented in medicine.
She is a Co-Investigator with NIH funded Office-GAP IMPACT program to evaluate implementation of the Office Guidelines Applied to Practice Program for medication adherence for heart disease management in people with diabetes in Federally Qualified Health Centers across the state of Michigan.
Dr. Kelly-Blake is a Medical Anthropologist and MSU alumna.
Current Research Projects
- National Network to Innovate for COVID-19 and Adult Vaccine Equity (NNICE)
- Improving Diabetic Patients’ Adherence to Treatment and Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease
Adesuwa Olomu, Richa Tikaria, Karen Kelly-Blake, William Hart-Davidson, Ling Wang, Zane Alroshood, Azazaiah Israel, and Margaret Holmes-Rovner. 2022. Type 2 Diabetes Patient Activation and mHealth Interventions Decreased Cardiovascular Disease Risk. Am J Manag Care. 2022;28(11):e392-e398. https://doi.org/10.37765/ajmc.2022.89263.
Olomu, A., Kelly-Blake, K., Hart-Davidson, W. et al. 2022. Improving diabetic patients’ adherence to treatment and prevention of cardiovascular disease (Office Guidelines Applied to Practice—IMPACT Study)—a cluster randomized controlled effectiveness trial. Trials 23, 659 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-022-06581-6.
Bogdan-Lovis, Elizabeth, Kelly-Blake, Karen, and Jiang, Wendy. 2022. “On the Shoulders of Giants: A Reckoning with Social Justice,” in A Critical Moment in Bioethics: Reckoning with Anti-Black Racism through Intergenerational Dialogue, ed. Fletcher, Faith E. et al., special report, Hastings Center Report 52, no. 2 (2022): S72– S78. DOI: 10.1002/hast.1377.
Elizabeth Bogdan-Lovis, Jie Zhuang, Joanne Goldbort, Sameerah Shareef, Mary Bresnahan, Karen Kelly- Blake, Kendra Elam. 2022. Do Black birthing persons prefer a Black health care provider during birth? Race concordance in birth. Birth. 2022; 00: 1- 9. doi: 10.1111/birt.12657.
Montemayor, J., Sarva, H., Kelly-Blake, K. Cabrera, L.Y. 2022. Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease: Why Earlier Use Makes Shared Decision Making Important. Neuroethics 15, 17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12152-022-09496-w.
Wang L, Pezeshkian K, Rayamajhi S, Herzallah K, Al-abcha A, Olomu A, Kelly-Blake K, Yu E, Wang DH. Relationship between blood pressure and kidney diseases in large randomized controlled trials: secondary analyses using SPRINT and ACCORD-BP trials. Journal of Human Hypertension. Epub October 22, 2020. DOI: 10.1038/s41371-020-00430-2.
Cabrera LY, Kelly-Blake K, Sidiropoulos C. Perspectives on Deep Brain Stimulation and Its Earlier Use for Parkinson’s Disease: A Qualitative Study of US Patients. Brain Sciences. January 2020;10(1):34. DOI: 10.3390/brainsci10010034.
Jimbo M, Sen A, Plegue MA, Hawley S, Kelly-Blake K, Rapai M, Zhang M, Zhang Y, Xie X, Ruffin MT 4th. Interactivity in a Decision Aid: Findings From a Decision Aid to Technologically Enhance Shared Decision Making RCT. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. July 2019;57(1):77-86. DOI: 10.1016/j.amepre.2019.03.004.
Khan NNS, Kelly-Blake K, Luo Z, Olomu A. Sex Differences in Statin Prescribing in Diabetic and Heart Disease Patients in FQHCs: A Comparison of the ATPIII and 2013 ACC/AHA Cholesterol Guidelines. Health Services Research and Managerial Epidemiology. 2019;6. Epub March 5, 2019. DOI: 10.1177/2333392818825414.
Kelly-Blake K, Garrison N, Fletcher F, Ajegba B, Smith N, Brafford M, Bogdan-Lovis E. 2018 Rationales for expanding minority physician representation in the workforce: a scoping review. Medical Education 52(9): 925-935. DOI: 10.1111/medu.13618.
Olomu A, Hart-Davidson W,Luo Z, Kelly-Blake K, Holmes-Rovner M. Implementing Shared Decision Making in Federally Qualified Health Centers: The Office-Guidelines Applied to Practice (Office-GAP) Program. BMC Health Services Research. 2016;16(1):1-12. DOI: 10.1186/s12913-016-1603-3.
Kelly-Blake K, Clark S, Dontje K, Olomu A, Henry RC, Rovner DR, Rothert ML, Holmes-Rovner, M. Refining a brief decision aid in stable CAD: cognitive interviews. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. ePub Feb 2014;14(10). DOI: 10.1186/1472-6947-14-10.
McCaffery K, Sheridan S, Nutbeam D, Clayman M, Kelly-Blake K, Holmes-Rovner M, Rovner D, Smith S, Wolf M. Chapter J: Addressing Health Literacy. In: Volk R, Llewellyn-Thomas H, eds. 2012 Update of the International Patient Decision Aids Standards (IPDAS) Collaboration’s Background Document. 2012. ipdas.ohri.ca/resources.html.
Selected Achievements and Awards
- Member, American Public Health Association
- Appointed Member, National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine – the Forum on Temporomandibular Disorders (2023)
- MSU Black Faculty, Staff, and Administrators Association (BFSAA) Pioneer Leader Award (2023)
More Items on the Web
- Women cannot afford “nice”: The unpaid labor of gendered caregiving
- The Burden of Serving: Who Benefits?
- Patient dumping: why are patients disposable?
- Incarcerated AND Sick: At Risk for Pain, Injury, and Death
- White Horse, White Faces: The Decriminalization of Heroin Addiction
- Racism and the Public's Health: Whose Lives Matter?
- Concussion in the NFL: A Case for Shared Decision-Making?
- Overdosing on Prescription Painkillers: Dying for Pain Relief?
- Podcast: Social Justice-Oriented Bioethics: Kelly-Blake and Valles - Episode 25
- Podcast: Supporting Michigan’s Agricultural Community: Karbowski, Kelly-Blake, and Millerick-May - Episode 23
- Podcast: My Experience Living with a Spinal Cord Injury: Kelly-Blake and Van Linden - Episode 22
- Podcast: Shared Decision-Making in Colorectal Cancer Screening: Jimbo and Kelly-Blake - Episode 20
- Podcast: Social Determinants of Health in Medical Education: Ajegba, Bogdan-Lovis, and Kelly-Blake - Episode 18
- Podcast: Activating and Empowering Patients: Hart-Davidson, Kelly-Blake, and Olomu - Episode 15
- Podcast: Medical Workforce Diversity and the Professional Entry Tax: Bogdan-Lovis and Kelly-Blake - Episode 6
- Webinar: Covert Costs of Racial and Ethnic Concordance in the Medical Workforce
- Webinar: Shared Decision-Making: The Gold Standard in Patient-Centered Care, But is it Achievable?