Assistant Director and Associate Professor
Center for Bioethics and Social Justice
Associate Professor, Department of Medicine
Dr. Karen Kelly-Blake's research interests include health services research, shared decision-making, clinical communication skills and training, decision aid development and implementation, mHealth, chronic illness management, health equity, and men’s health. More recently, her interests have focused on medical workforce policy, patient-provider concordance, and the rhetoric of service for those underrepresented in medicine.
She is a Co-Investigator with the recently funded Office-GAP IMPACT program and a consultant with University of Michigan partners for the Primary Care Rural Screening Project (PCRSP). The research projects are to evaluate implementation of the Office Guidelines Applied to Practice Program for medication adherence for heart disease management in people with diabetes in Federally Qualified Health Centers across the state of Michigan and to assess a multi-level clinical intervention for patient navigator enhanced colorectal cancer screening in rural community primary care practice settings.
Dr. Kelly-Blake is a Medical Anthropologist and MSU alumna.
Current Research Projects
- Improving Diabetic Patients’ Adherence to Treatment and Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease
- MICHR Primary Care Screening Project (PCSP)
Jimbo M, Gorin SS, Kelly-Blake K. Shared Decision Making’s Consequences. Health Affairs. March 2020;39(3):537. DOI: 10.1377/hlthaff.2019.01783.
Wang L, Pezeshkian K, Rayamajhi S, Herzallah K, Al-abcha A, Olomu A, Kelly-Blake K, Yu E, Wang DH. Relationship between blood pressure and kidney diseases in large randomized controlled trials: secondary analyses using SPRINT and ACCORD-BP trials. Journal of Human Hypertension. Epub October 22, 2020. DOI: 10.1038/s41371-020-00430-2.
Cabrera LY, Kelly-Blake K, Sidiropoulos C. Perspectives on Deep Brain Stimulation and Its Earlier Use for Parkinson’s Disease: A Qualitative Study of US Patients. Brain Sciences. January 2020;10(1):34. DOI: 10.3390/brainsci10010034.
Jimbo M, Sen A, Plegue MA, Hawley S, Kelly-Blake K, Rapai M, Zhang M, Zhang Y, Xie X, Ruffin MT 4th. Interactivity in a Decision Aid: Findings From a Decision Aid to Technologically Enhance Shared Decision Making RCT. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. July 2019;57(1):77-86. DOI: 10.1016/j.amepre.2019.03.004.
Khan NNS, Kelly-Blake K, Luo Z, Olomu A. Sex Differences in Statin Prescribing in Diabetic and Heart Disease Patients in FQHCs: A Comparison of the ATPIII and 2013 ACC/AHA Cholesterol Guidelines. Health Services Research and Managerial Epidemiology. 2019;6. Epub March 5, 2019. DOI: 10.1177/2333392818825414.
Kelly-Blake K, Garrison N, Fletcher F, Ajegba B, Smith N, Brafford M, Bogdan-Lovis E. 2018 Rationales for expanding minority physician representation in the workforce: a scoping review. Medical Education 52(9): 925-935. DOI: 10.1111/medu.13618.
Olomu A, Kelly-Blake K, Hart-Davidson W, Holmes-Rovner M. Is Using Mobile Health Alone Sufficient to 2018 Enhance Patient Activation and Medication Adherence? September Issue SGIM Forum 41(9): 10-11.
Jimbo M, Sen A, Plegue M, Hawley S, Kelly-Blake K, Rapai M, Zhang M, Zhang Y, Ruffin IV M. Correlates of patient intent and preference on colorectal cancer screening. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Available online 3 February 2017. DOI: 10.1016/j.amepre.2016.11.026.
Olomu A, Hart-Davidson W,Luo Z, Kelly-Blake K, Holmes-Rovner M. Implementing Shared Decision Making in Federally Qualified Health Centers: The Office-Guidelines Applied to Practice (Office-GAP) Program. BMC Health Services Research. 2016;16(1):1-12. DOI: 10.1186/s12913-016-1603-3.
Kelly-Blake K, Olomu A, Dwamena F, Dontje K, Henry R, Rovner D, Rothert ML, Holmes-Rovner M. Development of a communication skills based workshop for Shared Decision-Making (SDM). European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare. Dec 2015;3(4):529-542. DOI: 10.5750/ejpch.v3i4.1041.
More Items on the Web
- Women cannot afford “nice”: The unpaid labor of gendered caregiving
- The Burden of Serving: Who Benefits?
- Patient dumping: why are patients disposable?
- Incarcerated AND Sick: At Risk for Pain, Injury, and Death
- White Horse, White Faces: The Decriminalization of Heroin Addiction
- Racism and the Public's Health: Whose Lives Matter?
- Concussion in the NFL: A Case for Shared Decision-Making?
- Overdosing on Prescription Painkillers: Dying for Pain Relief?
- Podcast: Social Justice-Oriented Bioethics: Kelly-Blake and Valles - Episode 25
- Podcast: Supporting Michigan’s Agricultural Community: Karbowski, Kelly-Blake, and Millerick-May - Episode 23
- Podcast: My Experience Living with a Spinal Cord Injury: Kelly-Blake and Van Linden - Episode 22
- Podcast: Shared Decision-Making in Colorectal Cancer Screening: Jimbo and Kelly-Blake - Episode 20
- Podcast: Social Determinants of Health in Medical Education: Ajegba, Bogdan-Lovis, and Kelly-Blake - Episode 18
- Podcast: Activating and Empowering Patients: Hart-Davidson, Kelly-Blake, and Olomu - Episode 15
- Podcast: Medical Workforce Diversity and the Professional Entry Tax: Bogdan-Lovis and Kelly-Blake - Episode 6
- Webinar: Covert Costs of Racial and Ethnic Concordance in the Medical Workforce
- Webinar: Shared Decision-Making: The Gold Standard in Patient-Centered Care, But is it Achievable?
Kelly-Blake K, Clark S, Dontje K, Olomu A, Henry RC, Rovner DR, Rothert ML, Holmes-Rovner, M. Refining a brief decision aid in stable CAD: cognitive interviews. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. ePub Feb 2014;14(10). DOI: 10.1186/1472-6947-14-10.
Jimbo M, Rana GK, Hawley S, Holmes-Rovner M, Kelly-Blake K, Nease DE Jr, Ruffin MT 4th. What is lacking in current decision aids on cancer screening? CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 2013 May; 63(3): 193–214. DOI: 10.3322/caac.21180.
McCaffery K, Sheridan S, Nutbeam D, Clayman M, Kelly-Blake K, Holmes-Rovner M, Rovner D, Smith S, Wolf M. Chapter J: Addressing Health Literacy. In: Volk R, Llewellyn-Thomas H, eds. 2012 Update of the International Patient Decision Aids Standards (IPDAS) Collaboration’s Background Document. 2012. ipdas.ohri.ca/resources.html.
Selected Achievements and Awards
- Member, Academy Health
- Member, American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
- Member, American Anthropological Association
- Member, American Public Health Association